Tuesday, April 14, 2015


From year to year: capturing the seasonal changes at one unique location. The idea for this project is to document a sort of visual phenology journal that enhances individuals awareness of what is going on around them. These images from the top of Mount Jumbo, are very similar but with thorough investigation can show what is different from year to year depending on seasonal developments.





Photography Assignment
March 24, 2015
Errin Koehler


Photography is a very important part of my life. It is the vehicle of which I can document my favorite activity; outdoor adventures. Over the past weekend, I hiked up Mount Sentinel and took some pictures of new wildflowers, the change in weather over the day and the people I was on the adventure with. The photographs of the wildflowers help me remember the seasonal changes and the weather pictures show what it happens this time of year and I can compare them next year. I also focus on going to the same place over the change of seasons so that I can document through photography and experiencing the area. In Missoula, hiking up Mount Jumbo is where I do this. When I lived in Kalispell, I would use the overlook and hiking trails at Lone Pine State Park to document seasonal changes. It is a very important part of my life. I would like to have this assignment to have a lot of freedom because I don’t have a favorite thing to photograph. I know that it must be outside. My camera doesn’t work well inside and I don’t want to take photographs inside. One of my favorite things to photograph is wildflowers and they are starting to pop up. Buttercups, Oregon Grape and Yellow Bells have already been snapped by me and I can’t wait to see who else comes up. If I wanted to incorporate these ideas to an assignment for a classroom, I would focus on documenting something that you can see a change. For me it is Mount Jumbo. For a student it could be their bus stop or backyard. Take a picture and see what has changed and hope that this will open their eyes to what there is around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music